An emotionally abusive relationship can be just as harmful as physically abusive ones at times, but it’s sometimes harder to identify the abuse. There are no physical markers for emotional abuse. You have to be able to look inward and identify them.
Here are 15 warning signs of an emotionally abusive partner.
1. You feel constantly humiliated by them.
2. They criticize your actions unconstructively, often making you feel imperfect and small.
3. They tell demeaning jokes about you.
4. They’re constantly reminding you of your shortcomings.
5. Your feelings aren’t valued by your partner.
6. They try to control your actions and emotions.
7. They’re often dismissive of your thoughts and ideas.
8. When you have large accomplishments, they downplay them and belittle them.
9. They share secrets about your life with others against your wishes.
10. They withhold affection as a form of punishment.
11. They think they know what’s best for you at all times.
12. They’re extremely sensitive about your teasing and get angry easily.
13. They insist they’re always right and you’re always wrong.
14. They want to control finances and how you spend money, even if you earn it.
15. They accuse you of things that aren’t true and make you try to prove your love.