When on a vacation, all that you should be looking forward to is a fun time, either by yourself or with loved ones. Sure, mishaps happen, but they're often small enough that they don't overshadow the trip as a whole.
Not everyone is so lucky, as sometimes, tragedy hits in the most awful way. Due to some terrible negligence, a couple lost their life on vacation, but not before an ominous comment from their granddaughter.
A Vacation Gone Wrong
Recent reports tell the story of a British family who faced an unimaginable tragedy while on vacation in Egypt, a tragedy foreshadowed by a now-chilling, then-innocent statement that predicted what was to come.
John and Susan Cooper were on vacation with their daughter, Kelly Ormerod, and their three grandchildren. They were all staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel, a resort in Hurghada, Egypt, unaware that not everybody would return home from this trip.
John and Susan sadly passed away during this vacation, with a coroner having ruled that they died due to carbon monoxide poisoning in their room.
How did this happen? As it turns out, the room next to theirs had just been fumigated to treat bedbugs, a pesticide being sprayed in every corner they could reach. The chemicals in that pesticide would then leak into the neighboring room and affect the lungs of those sleeping in it.
It wasn't just John and Susan sleeping in there, though. They originally had a guest.
Needing To Leave
One of their granddaughters, Molly, who was 12 at the time, was sharing the room with her grandparents while her mother and sisters slept in another room.
However, at around 1 A.M. on the day of the tragic event, Molly was brought to her mother's room by John after she complained about a 'disgusting smell' in her grandparent's room.
"I thought Molly had eaten something funny," Kelly told The Mirror. "She looked peaky but said the smell of my mum and dad's room was making her feel sick."
Fine At The Time
John, who had walked Molly to her room, appeared '"fine."
"Dad was fine," Kelly said. "I thanked him for bringing Molly, kissed him goodnight and he walked back to his room to go to sleep."
It wouldn't be until the next morning that things would go very wrong, very fast, all starting with Kelly visiting their room after they never arrived for breakfast.
John did answer the door when she knocked, but he was "incredibly unsteady on his feet," retching while he said, "I really don't feel well."
"He just literally slumped and sat on the corner of the bed and said, 'I'm really not well,'" Kelly explained.
"As soon as he opened the door, I could smell vomit and he was slurring his words. He told me they were feeling rotten. As he walked... it was like watching a bouncy ball. He was walking in a zigzag, pushing himself off the walls."
Susan was faring no better, laying in bed "groaning" with vomit in her hair.
Much Too Late
It was here that Kelly noticed the 'heavy' smell, the same one her daughter had complained about early that morning.
Doctors were called immediately after. "It took an hour for one to arrive. Both my parents' breathing had changed. They couldn’t support their own body weight, so were lying down. The doctor then called for a second medical professional. It was chaos."
"Dad wasn't moving, he wasn’t talking, he was frozen. Mum wasn’t talking but she was groaning in pain."
Revealed At Last
When doctors arrived, they attempted CPR on John, but he was declared dead at the hotel. Susan was rushed to the hotel clinic, where she reportedly became "super agitated" and delirious with the staff. She was transported to a hospital via ambulance but passed away later that same afternoon.
Their deaths were a mystery for years until the coroner was recently able to figure out what exactly had happened.
Put To Rest
"I still suffer from the trauma of seeing them die in such a dreadful way. Our family is broken without them," Kelly said. "I'm still in so much pain over the thought their deaths could have been prevented but I’m glad we now finally have the answers."
"What's even scarier is thinking how it might not have been just them, if Molly hadn't of complained about the smell in their room, she likely would have had the same fate."
"We've been given closure in the sense that we know how this happened but I don’t feel any better. It should never have happened in the first place."